I have to  correct something:

It seems older Firefox versions had the same problem, but it wasn't
obvious, because the default accept_languages of the firefox-locale-de
package were already "de-de,de,en-us,en". In Firefox 28 the default was
changed to "de,en-us,en".

Nevertheless the problem is still, that Firefox reads the setting from
syspref.js and displays this correctly in about:config, but doesn't use
this value when constructing the HTTP header. The problem seems to be
this test:  http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-
central/source/modules/libpref/src/nsPrefBranch.cpp#232

So the accept_languages will only be used, when they are set by a user
pref, or a locked pref, but not with a "simple" pref in syspref.js.

  Firefox 28 doesn't use intl.accept_languages defined in syspref.js

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:

  We have system-wide settings defined in /etc/firefox/syspref.js,
  amongst others the intl.accept_languages option to define the accept
  languages for our environment.

  Firefox 28 (28.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.04.1) doesn't use the accept
  languages (and maybe others options) defined in syspref.js, when
  sending the HTTP header, even though the intl.accept_language value
  shown in about:config is correct (same as in syspref.js).

  It only works, if the intl.accept_languages is defined as a lockPref
  in syspref.js, which we don't want, because the users should be able
  to customize the setting. But we need to explicitly set the "de-de"
  accept language.

  This worked in previous Firefox versions (e.g. 27 or older).

  the corresponding line in syspref.js is:
  pref("intl.accept_languages", "de-de,de,en-us,en");

  about:config shows:
  intl.accept_languages =        "de-de,de,en-us,en"

  accept languages, which are sent in HTTP Header (this is the default from the
firefox-locale-de package) :
  "de,en-us,en"