> > audio issues on these distros when run in wine, DESPITE  the distros
> > patching in winepulse support (
> >

> Doesn't that just prove that a winepulse driver is NOT the answer to the
> audio problems some users still have?

It certainly proves that having a solution cooked up by the distro
package managers isn't a proper solution.

However, asking users to disable winepulse and go through considerable
configuration to avoid the audio stutter isn't really a solution either,
its a hack around a problem that hasn't been solved. It also stands a
very good chance of causing issues in non-wine apps if the OS or other
apps expect pulse to still be configured according to release-specs and
develop accordingly.

If the compatibility were wine-native instead of hacked in, theres a
chance the wine devs' way of doing it would be far more efficient and
better coded for the way wine works as they have a better knowledge of
the wine backend than the distro package managers do.

Wine should just work, out of the box, without breaking in unexpected
ways that force users to dredge the internet looking for configuration
options to fix their system around this bug. If this were just a small
number of relatively obscure distros i'd understand the thinking, but
the major distros have made this switch, and wine now has to make a
choice in how they're going to adapt to it. So far, they haven't adapted
at all.

If you want to try to influence the various distros to dump pulse I'd
support that idea, but chances are they're not going to.

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Occasional sound drops in Wine via PulseAudio

Status in Wine:
  Confirmed
Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in “wine” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: wine

  I'm running the Spotify Windows application on two laptops under Wine
  with both internal and external USB sound card. With both cards you
  get the occasional pop and click in the sound suggesting some data
  loss somewhere.

  I've selected the alsa drivers in winecfg and the whole thing is
  running via the alsa compatibility layer in pulseaudio.

  Jaunty 9.04 UNR and standard Ubuntu desktop.

  wine:
    Installed: 1.0.1-0ubuntu6
    Candidate: 1.0.1-0ubuntu6
    Version table: