[Expired for xorg (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60
days.]

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Xorg should be way more resilient or at least print detailed
  information in presence of errors in configuration files

Status in “xorg” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Basically the real issue is that whenever there's an error in some xorg
configruation file, xorg fails to start, instead of trying to fallback to some
minimal working settings and/or printing debuggable information about the error.
  It's too fragile. By doing something wrong with some xorg configuration file,
you may end up with a system that won't even boot and allow you to fix the
error.

  I'll delete the original description as it is not relevant. (I guess it can
be seen anyway in the edit history)

  See also

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers-304/+bug/1239472
  which is a somehow related case (an error in some xorg config file rendering
the whole system unusable, and no clue to the user about it)