I've been running 14.04 for about a month. This morning was the first
time I saw this happen. When I finally got it to boot into any graphics
mode, it generated and submitted an error report for Xorg, which I could
re-upload here if it would be any help to anyone.
(/var/crash/_usr_bin_Xorg.0.crash)

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-331 in Ubuntu.

  Error on boot or relogin: The system is running in low graphics mode

Status in “nvidia-graphics-drivers-331” package in Ubuntu:

  During boot or relogin, when X11 is initialized, I sometimes get the
  error

  "The system is running in low graphics mode
  Your screen, graphics card, and input device settings could not be detected
correctly.
  You will need to configure these yourself"

  See attached screenshots.

  When this happens, one can only power off and reboot.

  This never happened in 12.04. I only get this error sometimes since a
  fresh install of 14.04.

  Package: nvidia-331 331.38-0ubuntu7
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia wl
  CurrentDesktop: Unity