1. Installing Chrome should have no effect on Firefox.
2. Chrome/chromium has dropped support for NPAPI plugins

If you can reproduce the crash with firefox, please try to get a
stacktrace:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MozillaTeam/Bugs?action=show&redirect=DebuggingFirefox#Crashes

** Changed in: flashplugin-nonfree (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to flashplugin-nonfree in Ubuntu.

  NPAPI Flash plugin freezes chrome, firefox

Status in “flashplugin-nonfree” package in Ubuntu:

  If i disable  PPAPI Flash Plugin in chrome, then try to run a flash
  object (YouTube video, flash game, etc...) chrome will hang causing me
  to force restart. this seems to only happen with the NPAPI plugin
  (11.2 r202 of libflashplayer.so)

  firefox SEEMS  to start working AFTER I installed chrome, as it
  provided it's own version of flash.  (PPAPI plugin) (I cannot create
  the firefox crashes after i installed chrome. maybe it delegates flash
  to other programs?)

  OS:
  Release:      13.10

  FireFox: firefox        23.0~b4+buil amd64
  Chrome: 28.0.1500.71 (Official Build 209842)