This problem was plaguing my friend's PC (which was my less newer rig),
but not my new rig. Same distro, same architecture, same hardware
manufacturers, mostly same setup. BUT, he was experiencing the screen
off thing every 30 seconds, like clockwork.

The FiX is here! I simply went to System Settings > Power Management.
Tab over to Activity Settings, and choose to define a special behavior.
Check the box that says "Never shutdown the screen", and leave the other
two unchecked. I waited about 2 minutes after applying it (didn't even
bother to close the settings window), and the screen stayed on.

Perhaps the fact that this bug resides in the KDE power management as
some goofed-up timer that we cannot control is the reason why it was
overridden by this checkbox.

I am only one person though, so please, those of you who are still
having this happen, please try this method in order to confirm my
solution for everyone, which may then be turned into a workable solution
until the KDE developers fix whatever is causing this thing to happen on
some machines and not others.

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Screen blanking and dpms can't be turned off

Status in “xorg” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  This is Kubuntu-11.10, all current updates applied, 64-bit.

  the problem is the screen keeps blanking -- going to black every few
  seconds, regularly, and moving the mouse does restore the normal
  screen. I do not have any screensavers activated, and everything on
  Power save is turned off.  I tried turning off dpms with:

  xset dpms 0 0 0
  xset dpms off
  xset -dpms

  And then maybe 30 seconds later, the screen goes black, and checking
  with xset -q, dpms has been turned back on.

  I cannot figure out how to completely disable dpms. this is extremely
  irritating, as I cannot work with the screen going black every few
  seconds. Something is turning it back on, and I haven't been able to
  figure out what. I set up xorg.conf to disable dpms with:

  Section "ServerFlags"
          Option "blank time"     "0"
          Option "standby time"   "0"
          Option "suspend time"   "0"
          Option "off time"       "0"
          Option "dpms"           "false"
  EndSection

  After logging in, xset shows dpms is disabled, but after a few
  seconds, it comes back on. Is there a way to shut this off, once and
  for all?