To add to this. Don't know if it's relevant but I only run into this
problem when I SSH into another local machine, I also use Remmina over
SSH, related?

Packages, which is subscribed to remmina in Ubuntu.

  Remmina Lockups in 14.04 are Harder To Kill

Status in “remmina” package in Ubuntu:

  Remmina has always locked up for me in previous versions of Ubuntu.

  Previously, when this would happen, I could right-click on its
  application launcher and select quit. This would kill Remmina, and
  then I could relaunch it and it would work fine after that.

  In Ubuntu 14.04, when this happens, I can not exit out or quit
  Remmina. Instead it requires me to pull up System Monitor and click
  the "End Process" button.

  Like I said, Remmina has always locked up for me from time to time,
  but in 14.04 it is just harder to kill it when these lockups occur.