The annoying thing for me is not that these characters are represented,
but that they ignore the character grid. If I run,

   for x in `seq 1 31`;do echo -e $x-\\x$(printf %x $x)=;done

it should print the character code, followed by a minus, followed by a
representation of the character code, followed by an equals sign --
except when the character code tells the cursor to jump around or delete
stuff.

On the linux console, and in plain old xterm, the non-moving characters
print are invisible and take up no space.

In xfce4-terminal, they print as little squares but stay within their
assigned box.

In gnome terminal, as in the attached picture, they encroach over the
following character, so that you can't read it.

This is annoying, because it means you can't look at files that e.g. use
the field separator codes (28-31) as field separators.

** Attachment added: "Image showing many control characters misbehaving"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-terminal/+bug/501601/+attachment/4134902/+files/gnome-terminal.png

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  Bash in gnome-terminal shows control characters as unsupported-unicode
  squares

Status in “gnome-terminal” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-terminal

  When I upgraded to Karmic (clean install) I noticed bash echoes
  control characters using the hat notation (ex. ctrl+c shows as ^C).
  stty reported echoctl being set, so I tried to unset it. This helped,
  and pressing ctrl+c at a prompt cancels the prompt, shows a new one
  and nothing is echoed.

  Though, when pressing ctrl+c while a program is running (ex. cat or
  ping), a unicode square is echoed like for unicode characters not
  supported by the selected font. I tried selecting many different
  encodings and fonts, though nothing seemed to help.

  Futher, if inside this same shell I open a screen session, this
  behaviour is gone and everything works as intended, which is to have
  ctrl+c or ctrl+z have the desired effect with nothing echoed.

  Finally, opening a bash session in xterm or tty[1-6] and disabling
  echoctl/ctrlecho using stty command, this cannot be reproduced. So it
  seems that only an plain bash session in gnome-terminal does this.

  To see a screenshot, view the attached PNG.
  Basically what happens there is
  1. 2 ctrl+c presses at the prompt.
  2. Then 1 ctrl+c during cat
  3. Then 1 ctrl+z during cat
  4. Bring cat back to the foreground and press ctrl+c again
  THEN disable echoctl
  5. Repeat the process - where you can now see instead of hat notation, the
prompt presses are fine, but the in-program presses echo unicode squares.

  Very frustrating.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386