@cschramm
The package from your PPA (version 1.23-git201406261335-deb-1) works for me (on
XFCE, no gnome-bluetooth installed). Pairing with speakers is possible and i'm
able to select them in pavucontrol and play back audio.
I have to do this manually, so the PulseAudio manager plugin doesn't seem to
work, yet (I have "Move streams" and "Make default sink" enabled).

Upon connect I get the following error in syslog:
Jun 26 15:21:33 laptop pulseaudio[1364]: [pulseaudio]
module-bluetooth-device.c: Failed to acquire transport
/org/bluez/753/hci0/dev_00_0D_18_A0_16_50/fd2

and upon disconnect:
Jun 26 15:23:45 laptop pulseaudio[1364]: [bluetooth] bluetooth-util.c: Failed
to release transport /org/bluez/753/hci0/dev_00_0D_18_A0_16_50/fd2: Method
"Release" with signature "s" on interface "org.bluez.MediaTransport" doesn't
exist

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  [Bluetooth + 14.04] Bluetooth headsets are not working after last
  couple of updates

Status in Blueman - Bluetooth Manager:
  Confirmed
Status in “blueman” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “gnome-bluetooth” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Hi,

  I found a bug in Ubuntu 14.04 !

  I tried to pair a bluetooth stereo headset (A2DP compatible). The
  pairing process goes well, but after that I can't select it on the
  audio preferences.

  When I select it, it only shows the last selected item options and don't do
anything. (he should switch to the headset output).
  I must mention that it worked very well on Ubuntu 12.04.

  This bug can be in the bluetooth stack or in unity-control-center or
  maybe pulseaudio. I actually have no idea.