This is happening to me on a regular basis as well, and is annoying. The
nvidia driver doesn't recognize the DPI properly and so I am left with
VERY LARGE TEXT, so it's easy to recognize when this happens. Every time
I have to rename the file back to xorg.conf. I don't understand why
packages are touching this file at all. It should be left to the user to
configure their X. Especially since Ubuntu doesn't create this file by
default, if the user put it there, leave it there.

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-prime in Ubuntu.

  xorg.conf with manual config is moved away at upgrade

Status in “nvidia-prime” package in Ubuntu:

  I need to configure a couple of options for the nvidia driver, e.g.
  Coolbits. For this I have /etc/X11/xorg.conf which contains purely my
  manual configuration. I have found that this file is being renamed
  xorg.conf.<MMDDYYYY> at irregular intervals, thereby disabling these
  manual settings.

  /var/lib/dpkg/info/nvidia-prime.postrm is very likely what's causing
  this:

  case "$1" in
      purge|remove|upgrade|failed-upgrade|abort-install|abort-upgrade|disappear)
          # Remove the xorg.conf
          if [ -f $xorg_conf ]; then
              mv $xorg_conf $xorg_conf.$now
          fi

  Iiuc this is run on every upgrade of the nvidia-prime package. I don't
  know the reasons for doing this, but given that /etc/X11/xorg.conf is
  still intended (only) for manual configuration, it should not
  summarily be moved away. If there's a risk for conflicting old configs
  then they should be detected more accurately and handled through the
  normal tools that updates/replaces /etc files containing local
  changes.