dpkg -l | grep python-paramiko returns nothing.
I certainly did not install python-paramiko on Ubuntu 11.10, and duplicity
worked without problems using the same setup, i.e. running over ssh.

So I assumed that it should also work on 12.04, and that something
changed in duplicity and there was a missing dependency in the duplicity
package. That is why I reported the error.

Packages, which is subscribed to duplicity in Ubuntu.

  duplicity fails with message: UnsupportedBackendScheme: scheme not
  supported in url

Status in “duplicity” package in Ubuntu:

  After fresh installation of ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS server 64 bit version,
  my duplicity setup does not work anymore. The setup worked on ubuntu
  server 11.10 64 bit.

  duplicity 0.6.18 now ends with the message:
  Import of duplicity.backends.sshbackend Failed: No module named paramiko
  Import of duplicity.backends.giobackend Failed: No module named gio
  UnsupportedBackendScheme: scheme not supported in url:
ssh://x...@xxx.xxx.xxx/xxx

  Package: duplicity 0.6.18-0ubuntu3.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-27.46~precise1-generic 3.5.7.7
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-27-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.1
  Architecture: amd64