Still true as of Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS,
with US English Locale and 101 Key Keyboard.

Neither the numbers above the keyboard, nor the numeric pad "." work.

Packages, which is subscribed to gcalctool in Ubuntu.

  Decimal point on my numeric keyboard does not work. Is it because of
  regional settings?

Status in “gcalctool” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gcalctool

  Decimal point on my numeric keyboard does not work. Is it because of
  the regional setting? There is comma instead of dot on my numeric
  keyboard. In other programs like Open Office spreadsheet this comma
  key works without problem and produces dot in document.

  The superscript and subscript works with Alt or Ctrl + digit from main
  keyboard, but does not work, again, with digits from numeric keyboard.

  By the way I love this new calculator. It is the best.

  Package: gcalctool 5.32.0-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-23.41-generic 2.6.35.7
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-23-generic i686
  Architecture: i386