This bug still exists in Wine 1.3.29 and yet there has been no activity
on it for a year. Is anyone looking into it? The symbols.ttf font has a
long list of incorrect mappings, and since the Ubuntu packages install
this font as the default Symbols font for the entire system, it affects
many programs, at least on Ubuntu. I suspect the same may be true for
many other distributions.

Where did this font come from? Was it created by the Wine project? If
so, can it please be fixed? If not, then who created it and can we get
them to fix it?

If none of this is possible, then can it at least not be installed as
the default Symbols font for the entire OS?

I'd also say this bug can be confirmed, and the importance upgraded a
little.

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  Evince displays math equations incorrectly

Status in Evince document viewer:
  Confirmed
Status in Wine:
  New
Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “wine1.2” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: evince

  I am using Evince to view a TexLive compilation of an Optics Express
  paper that I am trying to submit in DVI format.  The paper displays
  correctly in xdvi, but not in Evince.  Evince is much better in
  general than xdvi, so I would prefer to use it.  Evince does not
  display many parts of my math equations correctly.  It seems to be
  some kind of font issue, but I cannot figure out how to fix it.