Public bug reported:

Version: 1:31.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.04.1

Hi,

this is a bug Mozilla™ Thunderbird and KDEPIM share:

When I send an Inline PGP encrypted message, whose body is using UTF-8,
to another user, the message is ASCII armoured (and thus 7bit). The
other user, running Thunderbird or Kontact, (or my own Kontact instance
in the “sent-mail” folder), gets the message and interprets the post-
decryption body as ISO-8859-1 (or Windows-1252, probably) instead of
UTF-8.

Manually switching the encoding to Unicode in the menu corrects this…
for this one message. (See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+bug/1108980 as
well.)

The problem here is that the human message encoding (everything within
the PGP armour) must be separated from the transport message encoding
(the RFC822 message in which the “-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE”…“END PGP
MESSAGE-----” is transmitted) must be separated from each other, which
they aren’t.

Please fix this, it harms using those MUAs in an enterprise environment.

** Affects: thunderbird (Ubuntu)

** Affects: kdepim (Debian)

** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #754265

** Also affects: kdepim (Debian) via

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  broken charset/encoding autodetection for encrypted messages

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “kdepim” package in Debian:
  Unknown

Bug description: