For some reason, this seems to be related to awesomewm because loging
out and trying firefox out in gnome doesn't seem to freeze the same way.
At some point I got an error message saying "Firefox is not responding
wait or kill"  but it's been working ok since.

I still have a huge load time on thunderbird. Is there a way to move
this bug to awesomevm ?

  Intermitent freeze of window, goes grey when changing workspaces in
  awesomevm

Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:

  This is probably a gtk bug but I don't know on whih package I should
  put it.  The main application on which I encounter this bug is
  fireworfirefox so amposting it here.

  Every few seconds or few minutes I get a freeze on firefox. At first I
  thought it was just on videos (and the sound keeps on going) but as a
  matter of fact it's the whole window even when not showing a video.
  For example, as am I typing this, twice since I began, the text stops
  showing, I keep on typing and then it appears.

  I am using awesomewm as a window manager but I doubt the bug is there.
  The QT apps are running fine. My thunderbird is even more freeze prone
  that my firefox (for example openning a new mail window is really
  slow). Sometimes when I click on a menu it will take time to appear
  and then if I change workspaces it will appear on the other
  workspaces.

  I thought it might be
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs23/+bug/1142213 or
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk2-engines-
  oxygen/+bug/963736 but nothing fixed it. I tried disabling addons but
  with no luck.

  Am running trusty. This is becoming a blocking issue for me and would
  greatly appreciate tips on how to debug it and fix it.