I am annoyed of this as well, I don't know why and how. But Evolution is
accessing all my FTP data on my University account and not just the
E-Mail folders. It takes half an hour to check throw that, so it's
impossible to use Evolution with such E-Mail account. I am using the
"Show only subscribed folders" and I even unsubscribed them before I
enabled that. But even if they are not showing Evolution searches throw
them and it takes too long.

I do not see "by selecting "Override server-supplied folder namespace" in the
same tab, with the namespace "" (two double quotes)."
Was this future removed? I am using version 3.12.5

Packages, which is subscribed to evolution in Ubuntu.

  Evolution incessantly Scanning folders in "IMAP server ..." with SSL

Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: evolution

  In 9.10 with evolution 2.28.1-0ubuntu2, I set up the details of my
  university imap account with SSL and password authentication, and the
  program hangs with the status bar message `Scanning folders in "IMAP
  server imap.[address]" (...)'. I expect my various mailboxes and inbox
  to appear in less than 5 minutes. With Thunderbird and Apple Mail,
  these mailboxes appear in under 20 seconds. I have been waiting for 10
  minutes. It's possible that Evolution is scanning all folders in my
  home directory, not just my mail directories.

  ProblemType: Bug
  Architecture: i386
  CheckboxSubmission: 8011774155f46b9f02842683c767f305
  CheckboxSystem: e704f33cc0866ff0f0256a33de39ea1c