This has been bothering me at least since precise (although there the
missing link went to libvdpau_nvidia.so which was all the more
mysterious since I do not own NVIDIA hardware).  In numerous cases do I
get a warning that libvdpau_i965.so is being tried to be accessed but it
fails.  I also can't find that file anywhere on my system or in the
Ubuntu repository.  I tried poking around with ldd to find out where the
call to that lib comes from but so far unsuccessful.

$ vdpauinfo
display: :0   screen: 0
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_i965.so: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory
Error creating VDPAU device: 1

libvdpau1:i386 is version 0.7-1 and vdpauinfo is 0.1-1

** Affects: libvdpau-va-gl (Ubuntu)

** Affects: libvdpau (Ubuntu)

** Tags: precise trusty
--
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_i965.so: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory
Packages, which is subscribed to libvdpau in Ubuntu.