Hardy has seen the end of its life and is no longer receiving any
updates. Marking the Hardy task for this ticket as "Won't Fix".

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu Hardy)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in Ubuntu.

  [Gutsy, Hardy] Black screen with mouse pointer on i830, intel driver
  (PipeA quirk needed)

Status in X.org xf86-video-intel:
  Fix Released
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” source package in Hardy:
  Won't Fix
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-intel” source package in Intrepid:

  On request, moved this bug report from bug 123283.  Which covers very
  similar symptoms on ATI hardware.

  Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-intel

  Here's  what happened on my laptop in Hardy:
   - Xubuntu Hardy beta live CD
   - Insert CD, boot to desktop
   - wait several minutes with no mouse activity
   - screen goes completely blank
   - move mouse
   - screen came back
   - wait few minutes
   - screen completely blank. While the screen is completely black, I can see
feint detail on the screen (like the back-light is off but the screen still has
stuff on it).
   - move mouse. When I move the mouse the back-light comes on but the screen
is black apart from the mouse pointer.
   - mouse pointer appeared but screen still blank, mouse responds to movement
and cursor changes when hovering over a text field for example, computer
appears to respond to input (clicking etc.)
   - VT switch to terminal 1
   - VT switch to terminal 7
   - screen came back to normal.

  In Gutsy, I cannot VT switch but if I ssh into the box and temporarily
  start a new X server and then kill it, that restores the original
  screen (possibly because it causes a VT switch).