Hardy has seen the end of its life and is no longer receiving any
updates. Marking the Hardy task for this ticket as "Won't Fix".

** Changed in: system-config-printer (Ubuntu Hardy)

Packages, which is subscribed to gtk+2.0 in Ubuntu.

  evince/evolution/gtk-print-dialog printing and system-config-printer
  fail when using client.conf with IP address for which there is no
  reverse look-up available

Status in “gtk+2.0” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “system-config-printer” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “gtk+2.0” source package in Hardy:
  Won't Fix
Status in “system-config-printer” source package in Hardy:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  I ran into the 'greyed out print button' in evince in gutsy 7.10.

  I was working with a network printer and it worked via
  lpr and in fact any tool that did not rely on the GTK
  print dialog.

  Evince and evolution were clearly broken.  As was the system
  printer configurator via the menu.  It kept dying after reporting
  an error connecting to cups.

  I could use xpdf instead of evince and print fine.  I could
  also use the GTK dialog to print to a file and then send the
  file to the printer using any non-GTK tool.

  In /etc/cups/client.conf I had put

  ServerName 192.168.1.16

  In the end the problem was that I did not have an entry
  in /etc/hosts for 192.168.1.16.

  If I add an entry like

  192.168.1.16 printer.mydomain.tld printer

  then everything works well including evince and evolution.

  Without that entry or a similar one in /etc/hosts, all the programs
  that use the GTK print dialog malfunction and the system print
  configurator dies.