http://meta.askubuntu.com/questions/12308/recover-a-removed-page-in-
order-to-investigate-a-bug-report/ addresses the broken link, but
apparently, it is simply a duplicate of this bug report.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-terminal in Ubuntu.

  Gnome terminal can't get into parent directoy

Status in command-not-found package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in gnome-terminal package in Ubuntu:

  Open a terminal and run

       mkdir a1
       mkdir a1/a2
       mkdir a1/a2/a3
       mkdir a1/a2/a3/a4
       mkdir a1/a2/a3/a4/foo-bar
       cd a1/a2/a3/a4/foo-bar
       emasc a.cpp &

  Note that is `emasc` misspelled intentionally. For some reason, this
  will close the terminal with no response. This has been confirmed for
  me on two separate computers. It _does not_ work on a separate shell
  screen `Control-Alt-F2` and _only_ with the default terminal `Control-
  Shift-T`. Is something going here that I don't know about?

  This happens more often than I like, but this is the only sequence of
  commands that reproduces the crash(?) every time.

  Navigating to the directory and running bash `getcwd()` fails
  (sometimes...)!

      cd ~/a1/a2/a3/a4/foo-bar
      bash

  With the error:

      shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: No such file or directory
      sh: 0: getcwd() failed: No such file or directory

  Again, this only happens on Gnome terminal as far as I can tell.

      lsb_release -rd
      Release:  12.10