Coming back to the suggestion from comment #25 and looking in
nsFrame::HandlePress.

I traced it down into ns[Text]Frame::GetChildFrameContainingOffset with
a call stack of:

nsFrame::GetChildFrameContainingOffset *or*
nsTextFrame::GetChildFrameContainingOffset
nsFrameSelection::GetFrameForNodeOffset
nsFrameSelection::BidiLevelFromClick
nsFrameSelection::HandleClick
nsFrame::HandlePress

It varies whether nsFrame::GetChildFrameContainingOffset or
nsTextFrame::GetChildFrameContainingOffset is being called depending on
whether you click on the text, but almost to the left of the text, or
completely to the left of the text.

When the nsTextFrame::GetChildFrameContainingOffsetAny version is
called, it offset is calculated correctly and the font is right. When
the nsFrame::GetChildFrameContainingOffset is called, the font is wrong.
In the latter case the caret still appears behind the text.

Try it with a wide letter, like "m"!

So in case a "Frame" being hit instead of a "TextFrame", perhaps the
program should look whether there is a text right before the caret once
placed.

Here some debug showing the two cases:
=== before BidiLevelFromClick
=== in nsTextFrame::GetChildFrameContainingOffset
nsTextFrame::GetChildFrameContainingOffset, offset=3
=== after BidiLevelFromClick

=== before BidiLevelFromClick
=== in nsFrame::GetChildFrameContainingOffset
=== after BidiLevelFromClick

Any further hints? Five minutes of your time can possibly save me five
hours or five days of "reverse engineering".

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  composer changes font mid email

Status in Mozilla Thunderbird Mail and News:
  Confirmed
Status in thunderbird package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: thunderbird

  As I'm typing my emails in Thunderbird, I can see what appears to be a
  font size change on screen, normally in the second line of text. The
  second line appear smaller than the first. It's barely perceptible, so
  half them time I think I am imagining it.

  Well, I've started Bccing to myself to check, and the emails I am
  receiving from myself are not only a different size, they're also a
  different font. Composer starts in some default serif, and by the
  second line is sans. I'd bee glad to email someone viz thunderbird,
  and also send along a screenshot of how it looks while I am typing.

  Thanks.