I'm having this bug with gdm in oneiric (fresh install). It was working
fine for me in natty.

To begin with the gdm greeter displays a list of users only by name
without any user profile pictures. The user pictures appear if I click
on a user and then cancel (instead of entering password).

I think this is an relevant bug. My 4yr old daughter can login by
clicking a picture of herself. She can just about read her name now, but
I'd rather have the profile pictures displayed. The lightdm theme does
not provide this functionality, so I switched back to gdm only to find
it now broken.

As an aside, if anyone knows how to get profile pictures in lightdm could they
let me know? The first thing that comes up on google image search for lightdm
themes looks much better (for my purposes) than the default theme but it
doesn't seem to be available for install:
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/ubuntu-adopts-lightdm-login-screens-to-get-more-exciting-20110512/

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm in Ubuntu.

  Login picture missing

Status in “gdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gdm

  It doesn't happen all of the time but sometimes my user picture (face
  pic) is missing even though I do have one selected. (not a custom
  one... a selection from the defaults)

  Unfortunately I don't know why or how this happens.