Note that
- users can see those directories but don't have write access to most so they
can't actually damage things
- nautilus open by default in the user directory, you need to go out of your
way to see the system directories, it's not likely to confuse users then
- that's not likely a change Ubuntu is going to work on, maybe upstream would
be interested though

  Nautilus shows all of the files in / even for normal users

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Right now if you go to `/` you would still see all of the files there.
  If your logged in as root, I can understand that, but as a normal
  users, its just an invitation for some users to go around and possibly
  break things.

  Currently users see this:

  bin
  boot
  cdrom
  dev
  etc
  home
  initrd.img
  initrd.img.old
  lib
  lib32
  lib64
  lost+found
  media
  mnt
  opt
  proc
  root
  run
  sbin
  srv
  sys
  tmp
  usr
  var
  vmlinuz
  vmlinuz.old

  By some minor tweaking one could turn that into this:

  home
  tmp

  That can be achieved by adding a file in the root folder `/.hidden`
  with the following content:

  bin
  boot
  cdrom
  dev
  etc
  home
  initrd.img
  initrd.img.old
  lib
  lib32
  lib64
  lost+found
  media
  mnt
  opt
  proc
  root
  run
  sbin
  srv
  sys
  usr
  var
  vmlinuz
  vmlinuz.old

  Every file you put in  - that’s in the same directory as the file
  itself - will be hidden.

  Now, I also hide the home folder, made a link of my $username folder,
  and paste that in the root dir /. I also made a Applications folder
  with desktop files in them. We could link it to
  /usr/share/applications/. But the icons are not active for some
  reason? I copied the .desktop files to a folder in my home dir, and
  activated that, We could do something like that?

  I think that this is how all the `/` folders should look like for
  normal users in the future:

  Applications
  $username
  tmp

  screenshot

  http://i.stack.imgur.com/8FyXD.png

  This is just an idea.

  I wrote about this years ago:

   - http://www.eurobytes.nl/tutorials/how-to-hide-files-and-folders

  And to did others:

   - http://www.webupd8.org/2015/05/how-to-hide-files-and-folders-in-your.html
   - http://ubuntuguide.net/another-way-to-hide-files-folders-in-ubuntu
   - http://askubuntu.com/questions/243805/hide-certain-files-and-folders/
   -
http://askubuntu.com/questions/143315/how-to-hide-files-and-folders-in-nautilus/

  Package: nautilus 1:3.10.1-0ubuntu9.7
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.16.0-37.51~14.04.1-generic 3.16.7-ckt9
  Uname: Linux 3.16.0-37-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.10
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Thu May 21 11:15:35 2015
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  GsettingsChanges: b'org.gnome.nautilus.list-view' b'default-column-order'
b"['name', 'size', 'type', 'date_modified', 'date_accessed', 'owner', 'group',
'permissions', 'mime_type', 'where']"
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20150218.1)
  SourcePackage: nautilus