Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. The issue that you reported is one that should be
reproducible with the live environment of the Desktop CD of the stable
release - Oneiric Ocelot. It would help us greatly if you could test
with it so we can work on getting it fixed. You can find out more about
the development release at http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/ . Thanks again
and we appreciate your help.

** Changed in: empathy (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: empathy (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Empathy failed to stop and failes to start after force stop

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: empathy

  After a network outing and suspend Empathy failed to connect to my jabber
account with the error message something like: No reason!
  I used the Empathy menu to quit the program and the indicator to start it. It
did not start. I checked, the processes and found some empathy-related
component still run:
  $ ps -ef | grep emp
  user   2211 20025  0 14:44 pts/2    00:00:00 grep --color=auto emp
  user  14119     1  0 May13 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/empathy-accounts
--select-account=gabble/jabber/user_40host_2ecom0

  I killed the process and tried to start Empathy. It failed with the message
below:
  $ empathy
  Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/x86_64/dl-machine.h: 466:
elf_machine_rela_relative: Assertion `((reloc->r_info) & 0xffffffff) == 8'
failed!

  I found this error message in an other bug, related to oo writer:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/743845.

  Package: empathy 2.34.0-0ubuntu3
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Mon May 16 14:59:52 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100427.1)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US:en
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: empathy
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to natty on 2011-05-05 (11 days ago)