I had this problem on gnome 14.10,15.04 and now on 15.10. I a running HP
all in one desktop, amd radon video . It shows as being installed but
boots to black screen. Have to purge fglrx to be able to boot.It also
happens with fglrx-updates too.

Packages, which is subscribed to fglrx-installer-updates in Ubuntu.

  Fglrx-updates backfire, more info

Status in fglrx-installer-updates package in Ubuntu:

  When I installed "fglrx-updates" driver, it back fired on me as in not
  able to see the screen when i booted up the computer. It showed Ubuntu
  booting screen a lot bigger than normal and after that it lost
  connection with the screen and was not running monitor  and could not
  do any thing... But when I purged fglrx-updates it seemed to go back
  to normal.

  Ubuntu: 14.04
  Kernel: 3.12.0-7
  Graphic chip set: AMD/ATI:  Wrestler [Radeon 6310] 1 chip

  This has actually worked before. I'm not 100% sure what it maybe but I
  surely have an idea of the cause of the problem. I will put another
  comment below of saying what it maybe when I know for sure.