Sebastien and William,

Ah, I understand. Thank you for your clarification.

Anyway, do I have a chance to drop "(xkb,us)" when layouts has specific
layout like "ja"?

For example, japanese layout has completely alphabet keys as same as "us"
layout.
Therefore japanese layout user doesn't need "us" layout for shortcuts and other
operations.
If input-sources has "us" layout, user confuses key layout when layout
switching (super+space).

- [('xkb','ja'), ('fcitx','mozc')]

  User can switch layout between xkb/ja (use direct input) and
fcitx/mozc (use IME).

- [('xkb','ja'), ('xkb', 'us'), ('fcitx','mozc')]

  User needs twice "spuer+space" to switch from xkb/ja to fcitx/mozc.

My goal is dropping xkb/us from *default* settings for japanese locale.
Adding code which drop DEFAULT_LAYOUT if layouts has "ja" is acceptable?
Or should I do this out of unity-settings-daemon?

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-settings-daemon in Ubuntu.

  always set "xkb,us" despite set of other layout when input-sources is
  empty

Status in unity-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  When input-sources is empty, unity-settings-daemon try to fill
  input-sources/sources by DEFAULT_LAYOUT at get_sources_from_xkb_config().

  Please use DEFAULT_LAYOUT only when doesn't other keyboard layout.

  How to reproduce:

  1. set xkb layout other than us layout
  $ setxkbmap -layout jp

  2. clear settings
  $ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources "@as []"

  3. restart unity-settings-daemon
  $ restart unity-settings-daemon
  unity-settings-daemon start/running, process 13518

  Expected result:
  xkb,jp layout and input method settings
  $ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources
  [('xkb', 'jp'), ('fcitx', 'mozc')]

  Actual result:
  xkb,us is always inserted.
  $ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.input-sources sources
  [('xkb', 'jp'), ('xkb', 'us'), ('ibus', 'anthy')]