I would consider this bug critical. The world is not only PDF documents.
My wife uses the Citrix Receiver for home office work. This application
relies on configuration files being downloaded and opened by the
receiver application. This won't work with the current Firefox, and
setting this up in Chromium was a pain.

  Firefox 43.0: Downloads fail

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  My firefox just got updated to 43.0. Starting with the update, all
  downloads fail. There is no file selection dialogue any more, just the
  blue arrow appears - and the downloads list says "Failed". I have
  tried the same on a clean profile with no add-ons, and downloads still
  fail.

  In the browser console, I get the following error message on each download
attempt:
  [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057
(NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIAnnotationService.setPageAnnotation]"  nsresult:
"0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)"  location: "JS frame ::
resource://app/modules/DownloadsCommon.jsm :: onDownloadChanged :: line 735"
data: no]

  Steps to reproduce:
  Klick on any downloadable file on a website (e.g. ZIP oder PDF).

  Result:
  Blue arrow appears, downloads list says "failed" below the download filename.
The file will not download.

  Expected result:
  File dialogue (with appropriate settings). File being downloaded from the
internet.

  Versions:
  Kubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
  Firefox 43.0+build1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1