Thanks for the interest, but now I'm sure it has nothing to do with lightdm,
but with the keyboard map that, apparently, has changed in the X environment
from Spanish to English.
I have a Bluetooth Logitech MX 5000 keyboard with Spanish layout. As the login
names only use alphanumeric characters, I couldn't perceive the problem, and,
as the passwords have non-alphanumeric characters I couldn't authenticate
correctly (but, again, as they are obscured, I didn't perceive the error). The
weird thing is that in the text-based console the keyboard map was correct.
I have found a workaround for this problem in:
Now I can authenticate correctly, and the only remaining error is that the list
of known users doesn't appear yet, so I have to type the login name and the
password, instead of just clicking on the user name and typing the password.
I enclose my lightdm.log

** Attachment added: "lightdm.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/880799/+attachment/2573220/+files/lightdm.log

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Cannot login in any graphical user interface

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading from 11.4 to 11.10 I cannot login in any graphical user
interface (neither using gdm nor using lightdm) with any user (neither local
users, nor root user, nor nfs mounted users). I receive an "Invalid password"
message. Moreover, the greeter is not showing the list of known users (although
I'm requesting it with "load-users=true").
  However, if I open a console screen (I mean, a text user interface, opened
via CTRL-ALT-F1), then any user known to the system can login with no problem
at all.