Linked bug to Ubuntu packaging of Inkscape. This should be available in
distro by now, I think.

** Also affects: inkscape (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to inkscape in Ubuntu.

  Feature request: alternate glyph support (OpenType)

Status in Inkscape:
  Fix Committed
Status in inkscape package in Ubuntu:

  The only thing making me consider the switch to InDesign is the fact
  that InkScape can't access OpenType glyph alternates in professional
  fonts, nor make use of the marvelous automatic capacities of OpenType
  such as contextual alternates. I vastly prefer InkScape otherwise, and
  want to keep using it permanently—but for many typographers, this
  feature is necessary.