@Sebastien

Onboard might already offer what you are looking for. In fact, Onboard
can read on its first run an optional defaults file. The purpose of this
file is to allow distributions to configure Onboard to their wishes.

The file is called onboard-defaults.conf and is installed by the patch
in the onboard package available in the ubuntu repository.

I am adding an updated version of the onboard package with docking and
expansion enabled to this bug thread. In other words, with this updated
version, onboard will be docked and stretched from left to right on
fresh ubuntu installation (to be more accurate, I should have said on
ubuntu installations, that did not run onboard yet).

A few words about the onboard updates offered here:

You might also wonder why I am providing two updates. In fact, I noticed
that the patch in version onboard_1.2.0-0ubuntu1 had not been refreshed
and was still referencing an older ubuntu version. Thus, I first created
onboard_1.2.0-0ubuntu2 that refreshes the patch and then
onboard_1.2.0-0ubuntu3 that adds docking and expansion accross the
screen to it.

You might wonder why the expand key is not enabled in the updated
onboard-defaults.conf for portrait mode. It is not enabled because it is
enabled by default for portrait mode.

Maybe an additional final remark:

There is also a way to force the settings in the defaults file on users
that did already run onboard in the past. By setting the "use-system-
defaults" gsetting key of onboard to true, onboard will read the
defaults file when it starts up, write all the configuration settings
provided in the file to the users gsetting keys and reset the "use-
system-defaults" key to false. In other words, if an onboard package
uses its post installation script to set the "use-system-defaults" key
to true for all users, their onboard gsettings key will be overwritten
with the values of the defaults file on the first onboard start after
the installation of onboard. However, I don't think that it is a good
idea to change the users configuration without notice and the updates I
am attaching here do not contain such a script.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions; marmuta and myself will
be glad to help if we can.

Packages, which is subscribed to onboard in Ubuntu.

  Standard configuration proposal

Status in Onboard:
  New
Status in onboard package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  I think three changes to the standard configuration should be
  implemented:

  1.) onboard Keyboard should be docked to the lower edge
  2.) onboard Keyboard should be stretched to full horizontal size
  3.) onboard Keyboard height should be increased, like 2/5 of the vertical
height.

  As example a screenshot of windows onboard keyboard:

  http://cdn2.pcadvisor.co.uk/cmsdata/features/3360300/fuller_keyboard.png

  Regards

  Package: onboard 1.1.2-0ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.20-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Wed Feb 17 18:08:56 2016
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  SourcePackage: onboard