FWIW, I fail to see how this is seen as a "low priority" issue as people
forget that pidgin is disconnected (every other application that I use
reestablishes its connections automatically) and cannot be reached
during this time. The only way I see an issue could be more pressing is
if the application didn't work at all.

Packages, which is subscribed to pidgin in Ubuntu.

  Pidgin's auto-reconnect does not always reconnect

Status in Pidgin:
  New
Status in pidgin package in Ubuntu:

  Pidgin can't seem to keep a connection on my computer, so I have to
  constantly reconnect manually.

  Reproduction: internet connection is away for a while (in my case
  wireless link physically broken for a while). All protocols get
  disconnected. Message appears in Pidgin under the list of contacts.
  Sofar this is expected. Then, the messages do not go away when
  connection comes back - appearently Pidgin does not quickly reconnect
  after internet connection comes back.