Public bug reported:

This happens in a laptop Dell Latitude D630.

In a fresh install, updated, I added chromium-browser. After I hit the
"A" key on the keyboard the screen became black and I could not get it
to return back to normal.

I added a screen, and with an additional screen it was the same (I
checked that the bios was configured to allow a second screen -
multimonitor mode).

I launched firefox and typed some letters in the fields, search field
and else, it worked perfectly. Between each operation I had to reboot
using the SysRQ. Once I accessed from within ssh and it worked there, I
could finish to copy some files prior backed up to another drive, and
check the ongoing processes, then once all ok I was able to poweroff as
root from within that ssh console.

After several tries, and a moment while the laptop was shutdown, to
avoid having it getting too hot, I tried again to configure this
chromium-browser, and repeated the steps once, twice, three times again,
rebooting with sysrq between each : when going to preferences >
extensions > get more extensions > hit the "A" in the search field
(wanted to install adblock), it resulted each time instantly in a black
screen which would not return to X, nor allow getting a tty.

Here are some log files, http://meets.free.fr/files/chromium-and-dell_d630/

and also the content of the console after I tried one last time to start
chromium-browser, but this time from within the console:
http://meets.free.fr/files/chromium-and-dell_d630/probl%C3%A8me-crash-gpu-chromium-browser.txt

I don't know what to think about it.

** Affects: chromium-browser (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  in Ubuntu Trusty attempt to add a plugin in chromium-browser and the
  screen becomes black

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu: