** Description changed:

  Hi there,

  I have a Packard Bell LJ65 currently running Vista and I want to move to
Linux, and more specifically to Ubuntu.
  Because I want a stable system, I get a try to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (32 bits
version).
  I can't try or install it because at boot of the live CD (USB) I get a black
screen.

  Steps to reproduce :
  1) Make a bootable live USB with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32 bits.
  2) Make the PC boot on the USB.
  3) The  screen with the Ubuntu live CD logo appears.
  4) The screen becomes black (backlight is turned off).

  The cause of the error seem to be the lack of support for chip GMA4500
  M.

  Additional information :
  - I tried to install Ubuntu 15.10, Xubuntu 14.04 or even Mint 17.3 without
any success. Always a black screen.
  - After some research, it seems that the latest version this PC can run is
10.10 !
  - And latest working kernel for this PC seems to be 2.6.38_rc8.
  - Workarounds do exist but the root cause have never be addressed.

+ Workarounds :
+ 1) Tricking some files manually to modify some grub files and make sure
backlight is working after sleep mode
+ 2) Downgrande to kernel 2.6.38_rc8
+
  As Vista will shortly fall out of support, we could expect that the
  owners of these PC would move to Linux and possibly Ubuntu. I think it
  would be ideal to get this fixed by the moment Vista runs out of
  support.

** Tags added: 14.04 15.10

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  Blackscreen when installing Ubuntu 14.04 on EasyNote LJ65

Status in gnome-power-manager package in Ubuntu: