Closing assumed fixed.

** Changed in: lightdm (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Lightdm doesn't start if /usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions is missing

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:

  Symptoms:
   - Screen goes black after booting and showing the plymouth ubuntu logo and
stays black or
   - screen keeps switching back and forth between text and greaphics mode
instead of showing the login screen

  How to trigger:
   - Take a system that has lightdm installed
   - Install gdm
   - select "gdm" as the new login manager
   - purge lightdm
   - restart the system
   - install lightdm-gtk-greeter (which automatically installs lightdm again)
   - select "lightdm" as login manager
   - restart the system

  Somehow the directories /usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions and its
  parent directory /usr/share/lightdm get lost during this sequence and
  aren't created anew when lightdm is installed.

  How to recover in the case the problem has been triggered accidentally:
   - start the system in recovery mode
   - grab a root console
   - create the missing directory by typing
  mkdir -p /usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions

  Did manage to trigger this problem twice on my computer since I
  switched to the developer's version of quantal (64 Bit).

  Package: lightdm 1.4.0-0ubuntu1