Public bug reported:

Back on 14.04 and also 12.04, all you had to do to get BOINC to use the
GPU(s), was to install AMD's proprietary fglrx driver, and then type in
terminal:

sudo /etc/init.d/boinc-client restart

You had to type that like every time you (re)started Ubuntu for BOINC to
recognize your graphics card, but it worked to fix the GPU recognition
with AMD cards (not sure about Nvidia cards though, since I don't have
any). Now however, in 16.04, AMD's Catalyst drivers have been
deprecated, and while the switch to AMD's improved open source GPU
drivers is a good move, for some reason, this command line no longer
works to recognize AMD graphics cards. And since we can no longer
install fglrx/Catalyst on Xenial, I hope AMD's work on their open source
drivers gets a BOINC optimization ASAP.

** Affects: fglrx-installer (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd ati boinc drivers gpu xenial

** Description changed:

  Back on 14.04 and also 12.04, all you had to do to get BOINC to use the
  GPU(s), was to install AMD's proprietary fglrx driver, and then type in
  terminal:

  sudo /etc/init.d/boinc-client restart

  You had to type that like every time you (re)started Ubuntu for BOINC to
  recognize your graphics card, but it worked to fix the GPU recognition
  with AMD cards (not sure about Nvidia cards though, since I don't have
  any). Now however, in 16.04, AMD's Catalyst drivers have been
- deprecated, and while the switch to AMD's open source GPU drivers is a
- good move, for some reason, this command line no longer works to
- recognize AMD graphics cards. And since we can't install Catalyst on
- Xenial, I hope AMD's work on their open source drivers gets a BOINC
- optimization ASAP.
+ deprecated, and while the switch to AMD's improved open source GPU
+ drivers is a good move, for some reason, this command line no longer
+ works to recognize AMD graphics cards. And since we can no longer
+ install Catalyst on Xenial, I hope AMD's work on their open source
[...]

Packages, which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  BOINC doesn't recognize AMD/ATI GPU in 16.04 despite sudo /etc/init.d
  /boinc-client restart

Status in fglrx-installer package in Ubuntu: