I've installed a fresh copy of the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, then i tried to
install the prop. NVIDIA Drivers from the System. After rebooting my
screen resolution dropped and i was not able to change it in the normal
settings and i got the SAME bug like Ken.

Its was not possible to enter the Nvidia Settings menue and its was also
not possible to adjust the screen resolution.

System:
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, fresh install
Geforce GTX 660

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-settings missing features

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-340 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-361 package in Ubuntu:

  I installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 32 bit from the daily builds on an old
  PC with an Nvidia GeForce 6200 card.  After installation and applying
  all available updates I went to "Additional Drivers" and installed the
  recommended Nvidia driver 304.131  As part of that install nvidia-
  settings version 352.21 was installed.  When I accessed nvidia-
  settings I find the "menu" (left column) containing only:

  Application Profiles
  nvidia-settings Configuration.

  I had previously installed Ubuntu Mate 15.10 on the same PC (different
  hard drive) and installed the same Nvidia drivers.  The same version
  of nvidia-settings was also installed.  This time nvidia-settings
  lists:

  X Server Information
  X Server Display Configuration
  X Screen 0
  X Screen 1
  GPU 0 - (GeForce 6200)
  nvidia-settings Configuration

  The X Screen and GPU entries have additional options under each main
  topic.  Please note that I already had two monitors configured as
  separate X screens on the 15.10 OS when I wrote down the above list.
  (Doing this added the X Screen 1 topic.)

  On the 16.04 OS I started over and reinstalled everything.  Same
  issue.  I installed the OS, added the repository ppa:graphics-
  drivers/ppa and installed nvidia-current.  Based on the video card in
  my system the Nvidia driver 304.131 and nvidia-settings 352.21 were
  again installed and produced the same results.

  n.b. In an attempt to see what the "menu" looked like on 15.10 before
  I setup the separate X screens I uninstalled the Nvidia driver using
  the Additional Drivers feature - going back to Nouveau.  I invoked
  nvidia-settings.  In this case it showed only the two menu choices as
  described on 16.04.  This makes me think that the Nvidia drivers are
  perhaps not really being installed on 16.04.  Perhaps that will
  provide a clue.

  Please advise if I can provide any additional information.