Public bug reported:

There is a problem when searching applications with names that contains
apostrophes: it fails to find them.

For example: I have an italian installation of Ubuntu and I have two
applications named:

- Creatore dischi di avvio (Stratup disk creator)
- Applicazioni d'avvio (Startup applications)

In italian language, the word "d'avvio" is indeed composed by two words: "di"
and "avvio" which can roughly translated in english to "of" "boot".
When the final letter is an "i" and the first letter of the next word is "a" we
need to use an apostrophe to cut the first word so it becomes "d'avvio".

When I type "avvi" on the search i find both but when I type "avvio" it
shows only "Creatore dischi di avvio" and "Applicazioni d'avvio"
disappears.

There is a good discussion on reddit about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/4htjda/this_bug_has_existed_for_many_years/

** Affects: unity

** Tags: dashboard italian search unity

** Attachment added: "EK6KQIbP8p-PNVACdKG6AGv5EraIbISYvOGrnYk8naA.jpg"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1578583/+attachment/4656346/+files/EK6KQIbP8p-PNVACdKG6AGv5EraIbISYvOGrnYk8naA.jpg

** Package changed: software-center (Ubuntu) => unity

** Summary changed:

- Unity launcher fails to find application when the name contains apostrophe
+ Unity launcher fails to find applications when the name contains apostrophe

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  Unity launcher fails to find applications when the name contains
  apostrophe

Status in Unity: