Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: gnome-screenshot (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-screenshot in Ubuntu.

  Screenshot of a Google Maps screen captures the orange selection box
  in the image

Status in gnome-screenshot package in Ubuntu:

  Please forgive me if this has already been reported.  I looked and
  couldn't find it.  Thanks in advance.  Loving Ubuntu 16.04!

  I was taking a screenshot of a selected area on a Chrome window
  displaying Google Maps.  The resulting image file included the orange
  box that I drug (dragged?) to select the spot that I wanted to
  capture.

  Steps to recreate:
  1) Open Chrome and Navigate to Google Maps (I clicked the "earth" box to get
satellite photos).
  2) Open the gnome-screenshot tool and pick "select area to grab"
  3) Click "Take Screenshot"
  4) Drag a box around the portion of the Google Maps window you'd like to
screenshot.
  5) Save the image.
  6) View the resulting saved image has the orange box over the image you
wanted.

  I would not expect the orange selection box to be part of the image.

  Release:      16.04

  I've worked around this using Gimp but I'd rather use the small/fast
  Screenshot tool.