Synaptic and Muon look at packages, which is something different than
applications.
Applications and software with much metadata is in a different file. We
generate the data from packages, but it is not the same as a package. In order
to get enough metadata out, the packages must match some criteria, and meeting
those is the job of the individual package maintainers.
So, your bug against gnome-software is actually a bug against Krita, bug
#1576827 in particular.

Since samba is a technical thing, it will likely never be shown in a
tool like GNOME Software, instead it will be installed in an app
actually wants it.

3rd-party repos not being able to display apps is another, different
bug, bug#1576780

So, yeah, that's the whole story. Maybe this issue can be closed in GS
as invalid.

The "nobody cared enough" statement was basically me being frustrated with not
enough people caring to fix their metadata, something which will improve in
future, fortunately.
(We will also have more visible diagnostic messages in Debian soon, which
should help fixing this issue. See
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=806740 )

** Bug watch added: Debian Bug tracker #806740

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu Software Center does not display third party apps or all
  installed apps

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:
  Opinion

  Release:      16.04

  gnome-software:
    Installed: 3.20.1+git20160426.1.a976144-ubuntu-xenial-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 3.20.1+git20160426.1.a976144-ubuntu-xenial-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 3.20.1+git20160426.1.a976144-ubuntu-xenial-0ubuntu1 500
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       3.20.1+git20160420.1.ca63436.ubuntu-xenial-0ubuntu2 500
          500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

  The new Ubuntu Software Center does not display all software. For
  example no third party repo applications are displayed.

  Search for example:

  Ubuntu-restricted-extras - no results
  muon - no results
  krita - no results
  samba - no results

  These do not show under installed either, though they are installed.

  However, all are shown in Synaptic Package Manager and MUON

  Additional:

  I have installed the old Ubuntu Software Center and can confirm that
  ALL applications are correctly listed.