Public bug reported:

By design, the Software app only shows "apps". I'm not sure precisely
what standard is used but at a minimum, an "app" includes a .desktop
file.

This is a common complaint by users who prefer the way the Ubuntu
Software Center worked (default before 16.04 LTS) where everything in
the archive was installable or uninstallable via the gui. See bug
1553211 as one example where this kind of request is more or less closed
as WONTFIX.

On the other hand, all snaps are currently being shown in the Software
app, even if they are command-line apps and don't bundle a .desktop. For
consistency, the same standard needs to be used to show snaps as to show
classic .deb's.

Two specific test cases I saw are Cassandra and Jenkins (which were
"Editor's Picks" in the development snapshot I tested from
https://launchpad.net/~attente/+archive/ubuntu/gnome-software this
week).

** Affects: gnome-software (Ubuntu)

** Tags: xenial yakkety

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Software app should not show command-line only snaps

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu: