so question was asked from a previous dupe bug about repro steps.
afaict, there are no specific repro steps and the specific letters which
get corrupted seems random. But I've been using unity8 quite regularly,
and I've seen this several times so doesn't seem infrequent.

Might be worth noting that once a letter gets corrupt it seems corrupted
everywhere for that rendering - for instance on the power down prompt,
the letter "f" is repeated in the word "off" in 2 different places - in
one experience, no other letters were corrupted expect "f" in all 4
locations.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-desktop in Ubuntu.

  Randomly corrupt characters in Unity8

Status in gnome-desktop package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in qtmir package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:

  Corrupted characters in text rendering, mainly in Unity8 window
  titlebars.

  I think this is a new issue. It only started happening (on xenial
  desktop) in the past month or two.