I can't believe that such a critical bug was allowed in an LTS release
and has remained for months and months. This needs to be fixed before
16.04.1 LTS.

I really don't understand why they didn't just continue including the
ubuntu-software-center package instead, as it works much better than
this broken tool.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  gnome-software (ubuntu-software) doesn't install third party
  applications

Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:

  Software Center in 16.04 RC doesn't allow me to install third party
  applications. Install will work but nothing happens(I assume it hangs
  on something?)