Public bug reported:

This issue is recurring again on Ubuntu MATE 16.04. It happens
intermittently on two different machines, both fully updated. The
assistive technologies are not loaded on startup (diabled in "Startup
Applications" but it still occurs.

There was an old bug from 2010 which has now expired as has the related
upstream bug.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/at-spi/+bug/477978

There are workarounds but these are hacks:
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/issue-shutting-down-16-04-at-spi-registryd-desktop/5435
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2321728
https://askubuntu.com/questions/792638/ubuntu-mate-16-04-restart-shut-down-halts-due-to-a-not-responding-program-how-t

A proper fix would be welcome.

I note that all the recent reports linked to above relate to Ubuntu MATE
only.

** Affects: at-spi

** Affects: ubuntu-mate

** Affects: at-spi (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: ubuntu-mate

Packages, which is subscribed to at-spi in Ubuntu.

  at-spi-registryd.desktop not responding on shutdown

Status in at-spi:
  Unknown
Status in ubuntu-mate:
  New