Ok, it seems that the culprit is my quick-fix add_custom_to_xdg_data.sh
in profile.d! I tracked it down and it seems to be causing the invalid
.profile. The reason is yet unknown, but I suppose something changed and
now it was applied in a different order than on vivid. I checked the
values and it seems that /etc/profile.d/add_custom_to_xdg_data.sh was
run *before* /usr/bin/ubuntu-touch-session, not the other way around as
it was intended. This cause corruption as ubuntu-touch-session was
written in a way assuming that XDG_DATA_DIRS is empty (or at least
sane), where in this case it only had this one additional entry we
wanted for customized notification sounds.

Anyway, need to figure out what happened exactly, but removing
add_custom_to_xdg_data.sh from /etc/profile.d is a quick workaround for
now.

** Changed in: ubuntu-touch-session (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: ubuntu-touch-session (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gsettings-ubuntu-touch-schemas in
Ubuntu.

  Unity 8 fails to start on staging (xenial) on the phone when --wipe is
  used for flashing

Status in Canonical System Image:
  Confirmed
Status in gsettings-ubuntu-touch-schemas package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in ubuntu-touch-session package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in unity8 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Update: this only happens when --wipe (or --bootstrap) is used for
  flashing. It is possible to get functional xenial/staging running by
  doing non-destructive flash update from rc-proposed.

  Unity 8 fails to start on staging (=xenial + xenial-overlay) on my
  krillin.

  unity-system-compositor.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/20035267/ - shows
  Opening/Closing/Opening/Closing when starting unity8.

  unity8.log attached.

  Using ubuntu-touch/staging/bq-aquaris.en channel on krillin.
  version_detail:
  ubuntu=20160719,device=20160606-ab415b2,custom=20160701-981-38-14,version=49

  Crash file at http://people.ubuntu.com/~timo-
  jyrinki/unity8/_usr_bin_unity8.32011.crash

  Xenial can be flashed on the phone with eg:
  ubuntu-device-flash touch --channel=ubuntu-touch/staging/ubuntu
--developer-mode --password=0000 --wipe --boostrap
  (ubuntu channel)
  ubuntu-device-flash touch --channel=ubuntu-touch/staging/bq-aquaris.en
--developer-mode --password=0000 --wipe --recovery-image recovery-krillin.img
  (Bq channel)