Public bug reported:

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 on a network where the DNS server is available on
both IPv4 and IPv6 (managed by a router running OpenWrt). As mentioned
in the dnsmasq manpage, I can see dnsmasq has both IPv4 and IPv6 entries
by running:

dig +short chaos txt servers.bind

I also have an IPv4-only OpenVPN connection configured through
NetworkManager (the VPN itself is IPv4-only, the NM connection is set to
Automatic for both IPv4 and IPv6), with no split-tunnelling. When I
connect to the VPN and query dnsmasq again, I see that the IPv4 entry
has been replaced by the VPN IPv4 DNS server, but the (local network)
IPv6 entry is still present.

** Affects: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  IPv6 DNS server not removed when connected to IPv4-only OpenVPN VPN

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu: