Updates added a new behavior in addition to the one reported above.  If
I click the logout item, there is a delay in action as before, and it
appears to logout the Unity Desktop after that, but then Unity reappears
forcing me to click the menu item again to logout.  The second logout
attempt then logs out immediately.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  Really, really, really, really long logouts in 16.04

Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu:

  Have 16.04 running, and it gives new meaning to really, really,
  really, really long logouts.  I have to hit Log Out... twice to
  accelerate things a bit.  But, if I just hit Log Out... once, I have
  to wait for a really long time before the system logs out.  I have
  tried past workarounds to fix this but no cigar.  Nothing I have tried
  works.

  This is a fresh install since upgrading from 14.04.4 to 16.04 failed
  so badly that I could not keep a stable system without a fresh
  install.

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      16.04

  $ apt-cache policy unity
  unity:
    Installed: 7.4.0+16.04.20160715-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 7.4.0+16.04.20160715-0ubuntu1
    Version table:
   *** 7.4.0+16.04.20160715-0ubuntu1 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       7.4.0+16.04.20160415-0ubuntu1 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

  Expect that Logging out should be almost instantaneous like previous
  releases.

  What is happening instead is that logouts take a very long time.  I
  can click Log Out... and go do something else while waiting.  This
  delays me in leaving my machine for security reasons, and costs man-
  hours as the time adds up.  Luckily, I can work around this by
  clicking the Log Out... menu item twice but that is a serious
  annoyance (and possibly a security risk in some environments) in the
  event that I forget to click the Log Out... menu item twice.