Public bug reported:

Similarly to this old bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avogadro/+bug/1325956
there are some broken dependencies again.
I installed avogadro directly from the software center.

alarcj@alarcj-ThinkPad-T430s[~]$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        16.04
Codename:       xenial

When trying to run avogadro:

alarcj@alarcj-ThinkPad-T430s[c80]$ avogadro
avogadro: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_python-py27.so.1.54.0:

alarcj@alarcj-ThinkPad-T430s[c80]$ apt-cache search libboost-python
libboost-python-dev - Boost.Python Library development files (default version)
libboost-python1.58-dev - Boost.Python Library development files
libboost-python1.58.0 - Boost.Python Library

alarcj@alarcj-ThinkPad-T430s[c80]$ sudo apt-rdepends avogadro | grep boost
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  Depends: libboost-python1.58.0

So now the program is looking for libboost_python-py27.so.1.54.0 when
the dependency has been marked to version 1.58.0

** Affects: avogadro (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to avogadro in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 16.04: broken dependencies for avogadro

Status in avogadro package in Ubuntu:

  Similarly to this old bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/avogadro/+bug/1325956
  there are some broken dependencies again.
  I installed avogadro directly from the software center.

  alarcj@alarcj-ThinkPad-T430s[~]$ lsb_release -a
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      16.04
  Codename:     xenial

  When trying to run avogadro:

  alarcj@alarcj-ThinkPad-T430s[c80]$ avogadro
  avogadro: error while loading shared libraries:
libboost_python-py27.so.1.54.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory