I just tested with the new 1.2.2 network-manager from proposed. Same result.
Even tried creating a new user, same result.

Peter S:
Can you try the following:
- Reboot the machine and login.
- Then suspend, either by closing the lid or pressing the suspend in the menu.
(running suspend in terminal does not seem to be affected.)

The reason I want you to do this, is because of you restart network-
manager before suspending, it does not seem to make the ethernet-icon
appear.

Relevant: Is ubuntu using upstart to suspend, when pressing suspend and closing
the lid, instead of systemd-suspend? This could be the reason.

  cannot view wifi networks after re-enabling wifi

Status in NetworkManager:
  Confirmed
Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  after re enabling wifi, up-down arrows just like wired network. cannot
  see any wifi ssid.