Similar problem for me on Intel NUC. Sometimes this problem, sometimes no sound
at all.
Also, and sometimes, there is no sound on initial boot, which is sometimes
fixed by going to sound test and starting a test

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-control-center in Ubuntu.

  Sound over HDMI is 2x as slow after resuming from standby

Status in unity-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  I have an extremely frustrating problem with Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
  64-bits on my Dell E7450 laptop: when I connect a TV over HDMI afater
  resuming from standby, the sound is 2x as slow, and everything else,
  e.g. video playback, is dragged down to slow-motion.

  For example, testing audio via Speaker Testing goes "Frooont Leeeft"
  in a low-pitch male voice (the normal is a crisp "Front Left" in a
  female voice").

  Reproduction steps:

  1. Connect laptop to TV over HDMI cable
  2. Go to All Settings -> Sound and select to "Play sound through"
HDMI/DisplayPort audio
  3. Play a video and ensure the playback is at normal speed and the sound
comes out of the TV.
  4. Suspend the laptop.
  5. Resume the laptop.
  6. Play the same video again.

  Actual results: the sound and video look slow-motion, at about 50%
  speed. Go to Test Sound, and Front Left will sound like "Frooont
  Leeeft".

  This is super annoying because I have to close all my applications and
  reboot every time I want to watch a movie through my TV.

  Asked at http://askubuntu.com/questions/805355/sound-over-hdmi-is-2x-
  as-slow-after-resuming-from-standby, no luck.

  Package: unity-control-center 15.04.0+16.04.20160705-0ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity