Lucid is EOL.

** Changed in: alsa-plugins (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-plugins in Ubuntu.

  Pulseaudio fails with Alsa a52 (ac3) plugin (Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid)

Status in alsa-plugins:
  New
Status in PulseAudio:
  New
Status in alsa-plugins package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: pulseaudio

  I have a 5.1 digital surround decoder attached to the optical out on
  my soundcard, in previous versions of Ubuntu and Pulseaudio I have
  been able to route my audio through the alsa a52 plugin which has
  worked flawlessly with multiple applications mixing into one output
  and it up-mixing stereo to 5.1.

  Now with Ubuntu jaunty and the latest pulseaudio this no longer works, I get
no audio out at all which is strange.
  I updated to the latest alsa and still no change, my next step is compiling
the latest pulseaudio from source.

  I was wondering if this was something to do with that patch which
  routes all audio through pulse, is there any way of disabling this?

  My asound.conf looks like this:
  pcm.!default {
        type pulse
  }

  ctl.!default {
        type pulse
  }

  pcm.pulse {
      type pulse
  }

  ctl.pulse {
      type pulse
      card 0
  }

  pcm.a52encode {
        type a52
        format S16_LE
        channels 6
        rate 48000
        bitrate 448
  }

  pcm.pulseaudio a52encode

  ctl.pulseaudio {
        type hw
        card 0
  }

  and the relevant lines added to default.pa are this:
  # This is for a52 surround
  load-module module-alsa-sink device=pulseaudio rate=44100 channels=6 tsched=0
sink_name=alsa_surround
  set-default-sink alsa_surround

  the output of the alsa-info.sh script is located:
  http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=391a90fd1367dfe202362817586d3e1bec6ab160